Jake

is everyone aware that Purina has stopped making the 3 main urinary health cat foods?

I used to feed Friskies dry urinary formula and then it was unavailable but purina urinary blend was there so I was using that. Then that disappeared and 9lives popped up. My cats also approved of that. No prob. I tried Purina one urinary health and all they want to do is bury it. Plus it is twice as expensive. now I am having trouble gettin the 9 lives. I contacted Purina since they seem to be the company that manufactuures all 3 brands. they say they discontinued it except in cans or in the purina one variety due to lack of interest. I find that hard to believe. considerind the high incidense of urinary problems in cats esp boys. I feed a lg number of cats and it is the difference between $15 a wk and $30. Seems like a try from the purina execs to force people to spend more money. Dont get me wrong i'll wind up doing what I have to but I feel bad that they really don't like the other stuff.anyone else have a problem with this decision?

Asked by Jake on Feb 22nd 2012 Tagged foodshortage in Other Food & Nutrition

Answers

Cali

I don't think it's a ploy to get people who normally buy the cheapest possible food to spend more money on the same stuff. If you check the ingredients for Purina One brand foods and compare them to regular Purina or 9Lives, most formulations of Purina One have a lot more meat and higher quality meat than the cheaper stuff, which explains the higher price point. Ingredients are listed in order from the most to the least, so when the first ingredient isn't meat, or is a meat "by-product" or "meal" you know the food isn't providing a lot of quality protein. Less protein means less filling so they may eat more than a higher quality food, and less quality protein means more toxic substances and likely more vet bills.

As for non-prescription urinary formulas, they are usually aimed at preventing struvite crystals, but may worsen oxalate stones, so you should bring the nutrition labels from the brands you're considering to your vet and get their opinion on what is best for your cats.

Cali answered on 2/22/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Frisky cat food is made from road kill beaks and feet. Its so full of ash which caused mine and many others to die from cystitis. Their so called cat food is poison.

I would imagine they took them off the market because those foods were not actually doing cats with urinary issues any good because they are made of junk and not truly helping the cat's problem at all. People who have consulted with their vet about the best food to help with urinary issues probably would not be buying that to begin with so the market for it was probably getting smaller as pet parents become more educated about what exactly we are feeding our babies. If I put down a plate of Friskies or Fancy Feast, my cats would love it because junk food tastes great. But as somebody who wants them to be healthy, I won't buy anything with an ingredient list that starts with "meat by products", contains large amounts of corn gluten or contains "animal digest". Cats with urinary issues really should be eating a canned food diet and drinking plenty of water and dry food is not the best choice even if the label claims it is for Urinary health.