Is anyone having trouble with Frontline or Advantage Flea treatment not killing fleas?

Neither Frontline or Advantage is working to kill all the fleas on my cats. I have a population of 18 that I treat and the cats with flea allergy still have outbreaks and I have seen fleas and flea dirt. Some of my friends also have this problem.

Asked by Member 725142 on Nov 20th 2012 Tagged fleacontrol, fleas, frontline, advantage in Grooming

Answers

Batfink

I have had no problems with Frontline here, It took two months to get rid of all of the fleas in the summer,Although, most of the flea treatments available to us without presciption are usually more preventative, and by the time we notice and infestation its usually a large one. In the continued,regular and proper use of these products most of them do work,a single dose never does it, and sometimes it can take a few months to get rid of all of them. I would suggest that you make sure you treat you cats for worms as well as fleas as its possible Fleas can carry tapeworm eggs that your pet ingests during grooming.These topical flea treatments should work if used every month and in conjunction, do not over bathe kitties and also treat the environment in which the cats are living (harder if they are outside!)With flea allergies you can sometimes be presribed a different specific prooduct but only after diagnosis from your vet, Hope all is well!

Batfink answered on 11/22/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I have had this problem. For several years I used Frontline on my multiple cats. Suddenly it stopped working as well as usual. I believe the local fleas may have developed a resistance to Frontline and so I tried Advantage II. It is working wonderfully. Through many years and many cats I have had to go through the same process of switching brands and/or formulations occasionally.

*I must admit that having multiple cats I have followed a trusted veterinarian's advice of purchasing the big dog dose, putting it into a dark glass bottle and using a syringe w/o needle to carefully measure and apply the proper amount for each cat. It saves me LOTS of cash. One big dog dose is just a little more expensive than one cat dose. A little research online tells me the amount to use for each cat.

*Doing this you have to be VERY careful in reading the instructions and Cautions/Warnings. For instance, Advantix works wonderful on dogs but is NEVER to be used on cats.