Betty

Is Aloe truly bad for cats?

I love to eat, or let me rephrase, devour, plants. Ivy plants are one of my favorites. I also enjoy aloe. Last week I threw up two hairballs, which is expected since I have long hair. Then in the morning I had horrible diarrhea (resulting in a minor hair cut). Even though I will eat anything, I won't eat the various hairball treatments my mom got for me.

Would aloe have made me sick? If aloe is toxic for me, why do I keep eating it? Are there last side-effects? I've been eating aloe for months, just a little at a time, so I am not sure if it was the aloe that made me sick or something else I found. I am feeling much better, but my mom still catches me eating aloe and distracts me with my favorite treats. Does she have to throw away all of her aloe?

Asked by Betty on Oct 6th 2008 Tagged aloe, toxins in Allergies

Answers

According to the Cat Fancier's Association website, Aloe Vera AND ivy ARE poisonous to cats. It's possible that the toxins can build up in the cat's system and poison it slowly. If it were me, I would absolutely rehome all your plants before Betty poisons herself. If she loves plants, grow some catgrass (Internet sites are available on google) which will satisfy her cravings and keep her safe and healthy.

My cat does the EXACT same thing! There's plenty of information about "plant eaters" here:

whydoesmycat.com

It's an article about cats that eat plants, why they eat them, how to stop them from eating them, and a list of plants that are toxic to cats.

BabyNutter

I cant seem to get a clear cut answer on this.
Yahoo just did a sotry on the guiness book of world records oldest cat 32 years...Its owner said she FED the cat Aloe Vera everyday..... and yet others say its toxic and yet cats seem to eat the plants all the time

BabyNutter answered on 3/31/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer