is a tuxedo cat a breed or just a coat type?

Asked by Member 745795 on Oct 2nd 2008 Tagged tuxedocat in Breeds J-Z

Answers

Philbert

it's just a color pattern, just like tabby or calico. I think it's usually on domestic short,medium,long hair cats, or other one that arent defined by thier coats.

Philbert answered on 10/2/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Sassyfrass

I don't think its a breed or coat color. I think its just a another saying for Black and White cat. Thats what I usually call them. I think Black and White Cats are just domestic shorthairs or medium hairs or long hairs. Hope this helps!

Sassyfrass answered on 10/2/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Hunter

I am a tuxedo. It is coloring not breed. My breed is domestic medium hair. You'll notice that my markings are that of a perfect tuxedo thus the name for the coloring.

Hunter answered on 10/2/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Color does not equal breed, unless you're tallking about colorpoint breeds like Siamese, or other breeds such as Russian Blues and Abyssinians. Tuxedo cats are black and white, but there are other variations of black and white cats, including the van pattern in which white is the major coloring, in which black is mostly on the head and tail (actually, van coloration can occur with other colors--red and white, for example). Mistaking coloration for breed is common, so your question is not so out of the ordinary. Tuxedo coloring (white on chest) is common among American cats--it is rare in Japan, where we live. I wonder about other countries. It occurs commonly in moggies (regular housecats) but can also be seen in pedigreed cats such as the Maine Coon. Enjoy!

Cole

As everyone else has said, tuxedo is a coloring, not a breed. They're called "tuxedo cats" because when you look at them, they look like they're wearing a tux! I even have white paws which look like shirt cuffs. We are very handsome dudes and girl kitties!

Cole answered on 10/3/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer