Macy

Is a cat with an extra pad on each front paw considered a paradactyl?

I have an extra pad above the normal one on each of her front paws. This is why I ask.

Asked by Macy on Sep 29th 2009 in Other Kittens

Answers

The term actually is "polydactyl" and yes, it is. The extra toe looks like a thumb on the cat's paw. These are also known as Hemmingway cats as he bred them down at his estate in Florida. Actually, they bred themselves. They now have taken over the entire town and run loose and mostly feral. They say all polydactyl cats are descendents of his cats. It's just an "abnormality" if you will, and the cat is perfectly normal if not a little more interesting because of the extra toe. When doing animal rescue/cat adoptions, I never had a problem adopting out a polydactyl cat. People find them fascinating!