Grendel

Introducing territorial females

We have three cats and recently adopted a fourth. Introductions are going great but I'm concerned about the new cat and our oldest cat. Our oldest is a 3-year-old, 13lb, territorial female, and the newbie is a 1-year-old, 7lb, defensive female.

They appear to get along great (relatively speaking) half the time. They've touched noses and eaten within a foot of each other with no issues.

But sometimes, and I don't know who's instigating it, they have spats. The new girl will hiss, spit, and crouch as the big girl approaches, then the big girl puts her ears back and fluffs herself up and stands sideways, then chases the new girl under the bed. Or, the big girl will make her bird chirping sounds and crouch and sneak up towards the new girl; then, new girl hisses and runs/hides.

Is there a way to diffuse these situations? I've been firmly grabbing the big girl and putting her in time out, then loving them both up separately. I also plugged the Feliways in today. What else can I do?

Asked by Grendel on Oct 29th 2012 Tagged introduction, female in Aggression

Answers

I think you're doing about all you can and the girls will need to work it out. One will have to become the "Alpha" sooner or later. This usually does involve chasing, hissing, and paw-swiping. Be careful when you grab the resident so you don't become a victim of her claws or teeth. If they are able to tolerate being in the same room together, things look good for an eventual tolerance if not friendship. At times, my Izzie (15lbs) will still get a little rough with Lizzie (7lbs) and all it usually takes is a loud "HEY!" from me and he backs off. Feliway is "ok", but I've had limited success with it, so don't expect much. I've heard that it's a pheromone for attracting cats to their box. Oh, and make sure each cat has her own box, food bowls and blankie. Good luck!