Introducing a three week old kitten to a one year old cat?

I recently adopted a three week old kitten that is being bottle-fed. My current cat, who turns one next week, doesn't seem to know what to make of this, and hisses when he even gets a scent of the new kitten. What is the best way to introduce them? Should I keep the baby 'locked up' until he's weened and/or six weeks old?

Asked by Member 631341 on May 9th 2008 Tagged kitten, introduction in Other Kittens

Answers

Spirit

The kitten should be locked up till it can handle the older cat. In dotting on the kitten don't forget to dot on the older cat as well.

Male cats can kill kittens. Female cats aren't fond of kittens if they have been fixed.

Jeaously will abound and it is up to you tht whatever you do for the little one you have to do twice a much for the other one, so he knows this isn't a replacment for him cat.

Spirit answered on 5/11/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

The best way to introduce the baby is to keep him in a cage. The resident cat can see and smell him but not get 'at' him. Keep the cage in a room where you can close the door when you can't supervise the interaction so that the resident doesn't harass the baby. When you change bedding for the baby, let the resident sniff and maybe even rub on the bedding. As the baby gets older, don't let it harass the resident. This is how I introduced kitten Izzie to resident 9 month old Ernie and they're best buds now. Feel free to pawmail me if you want to!