Infection in abdomen after spay abortion?

Sweet Princess (two year siamese) was spay/aborted at three weeks pregnancy. She is otherwise healthy and seeming to handle the operation better than expected. We have two other cats, mom, brother, and a dog, so lots of hair and bacteria around (note: no pets inside for three days after surgery). She was given metal stitches to prevent biting, and they seemed quite loose. The wound was gaping slightly, in places, and not seeming to meet up right. I called the vet and they said the stitches were left loose to allow for swelling and to give it a bit of time. After a day it did seem to be closing a bit, but on friday night (after the vet closed) I noticed some bulging, and proceeded to press quite a bit of pinkish stinky puss out of the site. I washed her with betadine, and peroxide topically. I'm wondering how to keep things under control the vet opens on monday. She also seems to be licking and meowing quite a bit now. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Asked by Member 809971 on Feb 28th 2009 Tagged spay, abortion, infection in Spaying & Neutering

Answers

Boris

Generally, you don't want to get any incision wet or washed. So washing with peroxide is probably not helping.

I would take her to an emergency vet, honestly, because if her incision is infected, that constitutes a real emergency.

Boris answered on 2/28/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Jingo

Take her to the emergency vet. Spay incision infectiomns can turn nasty very fast so you need to get her to a vet ASAP. They will check to make sure the incision/staples are holding together ok and not in danger of rupturing. They'll also be able to start her on antibiotics to treat the infection and may give her an ecollar to stop her licking at the wound.

Jingo answered on 2/28/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Yup. Go to the ER. You are a knowledgeable and responsible cat owner--do it now.

Lucky

I agree, this sounds like a very dangerous situation and she should be seen right away. I don't think its very common to use surgical staples to close a spay incision because the of the risk of infection. I am surprised your vet didn't give you any take home antibiotics to address that concern. I don't want to be judgmental and say that your vet did something wrong, because with any surgery there is risk of infection, but i do question the staples and lack of antibiotics. Please get her to a vet right away so she can be started on antibiotics. Likely the infection is not restricted to just "under the skin" and has spread internally. In addition to antibiotics, your vet will most likely ask you to hot-pack the area to try to draw out the infection. Also, depending on how bad the infection has gotten and how far it has spread, they may need to hospitalize her to keep her on IV fluids and IV antibiotics. It may also be necessary to surgically open her back up. Good luck

Lucky answered on 3/1/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Hunter

This can be a very common problem with any surgical procedure. This is why vets and techs to tell you to watch for any sign of infection and report it immediately to them so antibiotics can be started. It is not form the type of stitches nor the fact that your vet didn't sen home antibiotics. It could be from her licking the incision though. you need to get an e-collar to prevent licking. You need to get her on some antibiotics. You need top stop using ANYTHING to clean the wound. It should not get wet, and hydrogen peroxide can actually inhibit regrowth of new tissue so that should definitely not be used. You can warm compress the area (which will help draw out infection) by placing a warm wet washcloth inside of a baggie and placing it on the incision for 5-10 minutes twice a day. Most likely the antibiotics will clear up the infection without any further treatment necessary.

Hunter answered on 3/1/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer