Indoor only cat, moving in with in/outdoor cats with constant outside access?

In a few weeks I'm moving to California to live with my boyfriend. We've rented an apartment, but while we wait on closing and final preparations, I'm planning on staying with him and his current roommate.
She has two very active indoor/outdoor cats and always keeps the sliding glass door leading to the (unscreened) balcony. The apartment sits on a busy road but these cats are pretty savvy.

The problem is, my cat was declawed by his previous owners before I rescued him, and has always been an indoor cat. I know he would be completely defenseless outside, and while I think he's much too fat and lazy to jump the balcony and try to scale a tree to the ground, I still don't want to take the risk.

How can I keep him safe without infringing on the other cats' freedom or the bf's roommate's? I really do not want to leave him behind, I wouldn't be able to get him for another two months.

Asked by Member 1132005 on Sep 22nd 2012 Tagged indoor, outdoor, moving, declawed, safety in Socialization

Best Answer

I can only suggest to you what I would do. My cats aren't declawed, but they would not survive outside either. But that doesn't mean that they (You know who you are, Izadore) wouldn't try to make a break for 'greener pastures" if they could. You can't make everyone happy and you are your cat's guardian so his safety should be top priority. I'm glad that your bf's current roomate's cats are doing OK, but so was Ernie, who was savvy until one day he wasn't and didn't make it across the street. If it were me, I'd find a trusted friend or relative to catsit until I could claim my cat. Or, find a cattery with a good reputation. You may have to travel to reclaim him, but unless you lock him in a room until you have your own place, you'll be taking a BIG chance that he'll get out.

Izadore (Izzie) answered on Sep 23rd.

There Are No Other Answers