Mu

I'm wondering why I have extra skin hanging down from my body? Momma can't seem to find the answer anywhere.

Asked by Mu on Sep 10th 2013 in Other Health & Wellness

Answers

Jojo

My sister and I have saggy bellies, but we are older and of course, skin becomes less elastic with time. Mine is saggier, though, because I was overweight when I was living at the shelter. I see on your profile that you're only 2. Is it possible that you also lost a lot of weight?

Jojo answered on 9/11/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

All felines have loose skin over their abdomens. This bag of skin provides room for the cat to gorge. In the wild, a cat may go a long time between kills and feasts — and gorging becomes insurance against lean times. Gorging is also the way a mother cat brings meat back to her young. She vomits the partially digested meal for her weaned kittens to eat.But according to Discovering Cat Breeds, this is mostly seen in Egyptian Maus (the cats with the M on their foreheads).Quote:Their hind legs are longer than their front legs, giving them more acceleration and power when running than most cats. They also have a loose flap of skin on the abdomen which helps them stretch out further with each stride in the way that a cheetah does. This flap also contributes to their amazing speed. They have been recorded running over 30 miles per hour. It can also be from being overweight and some vet's say from spaying.

If you stay inside and have been spayed or neutered, that can be the reason. Panda and Pookie were skinny as rails as they got older, but their belly skin and fur from when they were younger and bigger still hangs down. Mu looks great and is not a candidate for a tummy tuck, haha... ^_^