Im thinking switching cat litter brands. What are some good brands?

Im thinking about switching cat litter brand from tidy cats to anthoner brand. What are some good litter brands to switch them too?

Asked by Member 913591 on Jan 21st 2010 Tagged litter, brands, cat in Other Grooming

Answers

Regardless of the brand you use, I recommend that you try offering it in a second box before switching cold turkey. I use Tidy Cats and I agree that it is not the best as far as odor control or clumping but the dust level of some of the others is unacceptable for my cats. Right now I have Fresh Step in half my boxes and it clumps great and controls odor great but the boxes with Tidy Cats get more activity so the girls clearly prefer that one. And I think it is dusty. When I scoop, I feel like I can smell the perfumey scent in my sinuses even after I walk outside to throw the bag away. I haven't watched all of my cats but I know for sure that Chelsea will go out of her way to avoid the Fresh Step boxes even if they are cleaner at the moment. You don't want to make a change that will cause your cat to avoid the litterbox. They can be very particular about litter preference.

We've experimented with several brands of litter. We like Dr. Elsey's Precious Cat Ultra for multiple cats. It's available at PetSmart and is not too expensive - about $15-$16 for big 40 pound bag. Our second choice would be Fresh Step Scoop.

Sussie Q (pronounced Suzzie Q)

I am the mom and I am with the reviewers. But the one we use and love is fresh step how ever I wish it clumped harder. I have tried almost all brands and I have to say my top favs are those, plus as another reviewer said kitty's love the tidy cats even though its got a lot of dust. I also have used arm n hammer multi cat and did love it how ever it doesn't work well for my cats. I also did one box next to the other with old litter and then the new one with the new litter next to it. Good luck. And when I say I have tried them all I really mean it I have.

Sussie Q (pronounced Suzzie Q) answered on 1/21/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I had to switch from TC Crystals because they discontinued it so I tried Ultra Pearls And let me tell you they are the best! Chatty can be very particular so I was a little worried( She is 9) and you know how our babies can be about their box. Anyway she went straight there and all I have to do is stir the pearls and take the poop out. I am able to flush the poop in the toilet since it isn't covered in pearls. But they are just sand and water and the company said a few pearls down the toilet is fine. They also told me about their program where you can get free product! Let me tell you in this day and age every little bit helps. You really should give it a shot