Bowski

I'm really worried about my cat's cold!!

My seven-month-old kitten was seen for some minor respiratory issues three weeks ago. The vet suspected a flare-up of the feline herpes virus and gave him Lysine powder (which is supposed to help eliminate the virus) and Clavamox for any possible secondary infections.

He's still on the Lysine, but in the last two days he came down with watery eyes, sneezing, and now whistling/congestion-sounding wheezing when he breathes. He also seems irritable and tired.

I will take him back the vet in the morning, but money is very, very tight, so if anyone has experience with this virus, I could really use the opinions... is this likely to be another flare-up, so soon after the last one? Is there something we're doing wrong so he keeps getting sick (he's indoor-only, and our only cat).

Also, is it worth the cost (no idea how much) of getting him tested to make sure this IS the herpes virus? We lost our last kitten to FIP, which makes me very, very paranoid about this one.

Thank you so much!!!

Asked by Bowski on Feb 8th 2013 Tagged herpes, fip, uri, breathing, sneezing, eyes in Illness & Disease

Best Answer

Bowski does need to go back to the vet. Since you've already established a relationship with the doctor, they should be able to work out a payment plan with you. I've never seen a vet who will refuse to see a sick cat, especially one they've already treated for the same thing, just because the owner is in financial distress. It's absolutely worth it to have him tested to calm your own fears as well as to find out if there ARE any issues. My daughter lost cats to FIP and it's not something your forget or take lightly with your own cats, so do it for your own peace of mind. I hope Bowski feels better soon. He's a real sweetie!

Izadore (Izzie) answered on Feb 10th.

There Are No Other Answers