I witnessed how a man trew a cat out of his car through the window and took off. What to do?

I witnessed how a man trew a cat out of his car through the window and took off. I followed him horning the horn of my car a mile or so, to remind him that I saw what he did. He did not stop or slowed down, he speed at 70 MPH and I could not get his license plate. I reported to the police anyways and reported it to Humane Society of my county. I feel frustrated because I could not help more. The police can not do much without the license plate. What can I do?.... I had driven many times in the area to see if I can spot the cat. I do not see it anywhere. I am afraid the man is free and the poor cat is hungry and frightened. What else can I do?....

Asked by Member 1024253 on Apr 13th 2011 Tagged lawslegislations in Laws & Legislation

Answers

This is a horrific thing to witness and unfortunately, in these times, happens a lot. I feel very badly that you had to see something like this. It's understandable at those speeds that you could not drive and copy down the plate. The police are right,there isn't much they can do with just a description of the car and no plate. It it's a safe place that you can get out of the car, try that. If the cat didn't make it, at least you can give it a decent burial if you find it's body. Chances are it's well hidden. It probably didn't have a very good life and is not social. Hopefully, if it makes it, it will learn to hunt for itself. Or, it will be taken in by someone around there. Think good thoughts and send up a few prayers for the poor thing. It's about all you can do other than mounting an all out, daily search. If you got a good look at the cat itself, you can post in your local paper or in the paper in that area.Add a description of the car as well. This guy's probably done it before

did you give the police a description of the car? this tends to happen alot where i live ive witnessed someone throw a dog out onto the highway unfortunately the dog was frightened and ran off a lady found the dog she saw what the person did we were not able to get the licence on the car either but we did give the police a desciption of the car and this lady took the dog to the vet/humane society the dog was skinny and dehydrated we were able to spot the car again but by the time we noticed it was the car he had already turned the corner and we havent seen the car since. all you can do is give a description of the car and where you last saw the car the police will do everything they can to find this horrible man give updates on the cat if you are able to i hope everything works out in your favor

Spike

Thank you for being a caring and resonsible person. One word of warning: someone who is capable of throwing a cat out a car window might be dangerous. Blowing your horn as you follow him could have resulted in a nasty fight. I'm glad that you didn't get hurt, but very sorry for the poor kitty.

Spike answered on 4/15/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

We witnessed a man do that on our small back road years ago. My friend WAS the police chief in our town and I managed the local humane society shelter so we got all the information (she got his plate id) and had the man formally charged. We had to hold the cat (she was pregnant as well) until AFTER the court case, which took FOUR months.
The man pled guilty, the judge was an avid, well-known bird watcher and didn't want to appear biased so he fined the man ONE DOLLAR!!!! I guess it's the principle of the thing, but it sure was annoying.
Thank you for trying, but, I agree with a previous poster...please be careful!!!