I was wondering if there wee any side effects of using a laser pointer to play with your cat?

Asked by Member 772023 on Nov 23rd 2008 in Other Health & Wellness

Answers

You just need to be careful not to point the laser into their eyes. Best is to point it at the floor or wall so they can chase the dot and there's no risk in that.

Sassy is right. When Izzie, Lily and I play with the laser, my Springer Spaniel comes right up to me and stares into the end of the pen. That usually ends playtime for the cats and me until Cady finds some other trouble to get into. The reason they are so dangerous to the eye is that they can burn. Medicine and dentristry are using lasers now to perform surgery and even dental procedures, so they're nothing to fool around with. When you do play, don't flip the laser around quickly. My cats love it when I sneak the little pinlight under a chair or against the wall and just leave it until they run up to it. You need to make it look like a little creature--that's what they think it is!

Agreeing with Sassy & Izzie. Laser pointers are great fun, but they shouldn't be pointed directly at anyone's eyes.

Oscar J., Miss Buddie and Stevie Ray all have a great time chasing the pointer and playing together. They actually work pretty good as a pack. MOL