Snowball

I was curious to know why my cat will cry with her toy mouse in her mouth every night when I go to bed?

She has been doing this since she was a kitten and she is 5 yrs.now. She sleeps with me every night, but if I'm in bed before her, she will cry with her mouse and jump in bd with me. She sounds so sad.

Asked by Snowball on Mar 16th 2009 Tagged crying in Other Behavior & Training

Best Answer

Maybe she is simulating maternal-newborn behavior. A few of our females drag around a faux-leopard tail, making garbled, high-pitched cries that sound like calls to/by lost kittens. One (and her mother, to a lesser degree) circles round and round till the tail toy is coiled up, then kneads it with her front paws and stomp-scratches it with her back, vocalizing loudly throughout. She loves to pull it on top of a soft object, like a nylon feather duster. Her eyes get dreamy, even blissful. She often ends by flopping on her side (nursing position) with the toy alongside where kittens would be. These very emotional females don't want play or pets, but DO want us very close. We've read cats sometimes blur parent/child roles; maybe both induce a similar neurochemical response. The cries (different from "I've got a mouse" excitement) sound alarming but NEVER occur during stress. We think they signify a desire for the most intimate bonding available to cats. It's heart-tugging, in a good way!

answered on Mar 16th.

Answers

It looks like Snowball is odd-eyed--she's a beautiful cat. From the description on your page, it sounds like she just doesn't like being left alone, and that the mouse makes her feel secure. You say she's lonely when you're not home--is there any way that you can have another cat? Adding another cat is not that expensive (I currently have nine, and that IS expensive), and even if the cats don't bond, she'll feel less lonely when you're not there. If your lease forbids you to have more than one cat, of course, this would not be an option. But if not, you might consider this.

Sebastian

Snowball is a beautiful cat! She may be asking you to play with her. I will bring toys in mom's bed. I dont usually cry, but I "beat" the toy against her (hint-hint) MOL.... Mom usually gets flustered and throws the toy somewhere else... thus begins the game :). Sometimes she has to hide them from me if there is something really important going on the next day like a test or paper due....

Sebastian answered on 3/16/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

A couple of my cats do the same thing. They will howl and almost panic and when I go see what the problem is, I will see a mouse in their mouth. I think it's excitment for them that they have "prey" in their mouth and also howling for the proud "look at me and what I have" feeling is my guess. Snowball is beautiful.