I want to know what to do about my cat being nervous and hissing every time she hears the dog come down the hall and whe

Asked by Member 1158948 on Mar 15th 2013 in Behavior & Training

Answers

Cats and dogs are not natural enemies as has been promoted in the media forever. A cat doesn't know a dog is a dog and visa versa. All they know is that there is an "invader" in their space and if they are very territorial, they will defend that territory. If the dog seriously harrasses the cat, you'll have to discipline the dog and I don't mean by hitting or shrieking at him. In my house, a simple, firm "Knock it off!" works with both species. When I bring a new cat home, I always make sure to put up a baby gate in a doorway to the cat's "safe" room. The gate has a hole cut in the plastic mesh. The cat fits through but not the dog. There are also beds to hide under and counters to jump up on when the cats feel threatened by the dogs here. Truthfully, you may just have to put up with the hissing if it doesn't turn into attacking the dog, especially if the dog is doing nothing to provoke it. Remember, in your house YOU are the pack leader.

What I did to help socialize my cats with my dog, I put up a baby gate and they had a "safe" room that they could always get to and the dog couldn't. I sat on the floor, by the gate with a bag of training treats, for the dog and cat. Lure the cat to the gate with the treat, give them both one and praise, praise, praise, the dog when the dog is calm and give the bits of treat to him. Pet him all the while and keep saying "what a good boy you are!!"Hopefully the cat will come up to the gate eventually, with the help of the food (use something VERY enticing to the cat...something fishy) so that the cat will come close to the dog. Have several sessions like this. My kitten was terrified of my dog, and the kitten would eventually let me hold him with the dog at the gate and see that she was not going to hurt him or chase him.Never let the dog chase the cat, even if they are playing, I do NOT allow that at all. Several sessions of treats and praising and it will work.