Buddy

I want to know if my cat is a nebelung. The vet doesn't even know what that breed is (funny)

According to the books he has the same characteristics though he may be a little bit friendlier but mostly is devoted to his owner (me) so HELP

Asked by Buddy on May 8th 2012 Tagged nebelung, catbreed, cet, breed, help, vet, owner in Breeds

Answers

Mom has owned 4 purebred cats so far, two differnt breeds (European Burmese and Tonkinese). We also go to cat shows, and have seen a lot of purebred cats. Mom has found most vets are actually not too familiar with cat breeds. Only about 5% of cats are registered purebreds.

Buddy is a handsome boy. Nebelungs are a rare breed. Most reputable breeders have spay/neuter agreements. The odds of a rare breed cat mixing and/or breeding with the domestic population is slim (at best) to none. Any cat who's background is uncetain or unknown is a Domestic Shorthair, Mediumhair, or Longhair respectively. There's nothing wrong with that. Buddy doesn't need a breed. Domestics can resemble purebreds, but only purebreds will breed true to type. Guessing the background of a Domestic mix cat is just that - a guess.

Ghost

Hi Buddy, I too like to think I am a Nebelung. I have no way of knowing really since I'm a shelter cat. I'm sure you've read all up on them by now and know they're a new breed in the cat world. They are considered rare, so chances are low that we are Nebelung unless we're from a breeder. What I don't understand is if our breed was made from a cross breeding cats (one of whom wasn't even a russian blue!) .. if I act like one and look like one, why aren't I? Maybe a smarter kitty can explain that =^.^=

Ghost answered on 5/9/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Rainey

The only way to know a cat's breed is to have it's pedigree or know the family history. Pure breed cats like the Nebelung are only breed from Nebelung's. There are many blue cats but that doesn't mean that they are pedigree cats or a specific breed just because of gray fur.

Rainey answered on 5/14/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer