I think my cat is having seizures, how can I know for sure?

Asked by Member 1002761 on Sep 1st 2010 in Health & Wellness

Answers

Seizures can present in a lot of different behaviors. A cat may simply stare off into space for a few moments, or actually fall down and thrash around and lose control of their bodily functions. And, there are about as many causes of feline seizures as there are types. If your cat is not acting like him/herself, you need to get him/her to a vet as soon as you can. Remember we aren't vets here, just people who love cats, and as much as we'd like to diagnose and suggest treatment for your kitty, we simply cannot. Good luck and let us know how your kitty is doing.

I once had a cat who started having seizures at age 5. They were of unknown (idiopathic) origin. I stopped using Front Line flea medication as she would have a seizure within 24 hours of application. The only flea medication I used on her was Advantage with no problems. However, this was not the only reason she was having seizures. She was born with a neurological disorder (weak back legs). She would start to stare (an "aura") before the seizures came on. She would go into convulsions and then be very restless and disoriented for an hour afterwards. She would also eat and drink a lot after the seizure and then sleep for hours later. Seizures are very stressful and make cats (just like people) very tired afterwards. I would suggest a trip to the vet for some blood work. They may be able to determine the cause, sometimes they can't. Best of luck to you.