I noticed that my cat has bald spots above his eyes, but they are red not dripping blood, but tinged w/blood & raised.

I have just recently noticed that my 4 y.o. male cat his ears have little scabs on them and so does his neck and then I also noticed that around his eyes were a little inflamed and red. The red is blood, but it's not like dripping blood, but more like tinged and it just so happens to be in that sparce area of the cats head between it's eye and ear. There are no scabs or bald spots anywhere else on his body and he is his behavior is normal. At first I thought he was scratching himself w/his claws. His claws are very long. He does have a scratching post, however, he NEVER uses it. Preferring my boxspring, the end of the sofa or the rung on my banister. His ears did clear up, but now it's happend again and around his eyes too. My husband and I have both checked him for bugs, but found none and he is an indoor cat that has never been outside. What's wrong with my cat?

Asked by Member 766060 on Nov 10th 2008 Tagged bald, spots, inflamed in Skin Problems

Answers

maestro

its possible he has a feline version of scabies. it's a type of mite. its usually found in dogs but none of the treatments used on dogs is recommended on cats. you could give him a lymbath and see if it clears up.

another solution is mange, a parasitic skin mite that burrows into the skin. this would better explain the eye and ear scabs and loss of hair.

maestro answered on 11/10/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Take him to a vet to confirm what it is. It could be ringworm, allergies, mange etc but you'll need to know which to get him treated.

We aren't vets here and even so, shouldn't be diagnosing what might be wrong with your cat. Only your vet, who knows your cat and his history can do that. We can't see your cat and don't know his lifestyle and to give you medical advice may make him worse or at the least just not cure him of what's wrong. For sure your guy needs medication. If it's inflamed and red, it's probably bothering him more than you and he'd like to have it looked at, too!