I need A kitten for free can you help me find one?

I want a free kitten really badly but can't find one

Asked by Member 871812 on Aug 28th 2009 in Kittens

Answers

There is no such thing as a free kitten. They need three sets of kitten shots and then a spay or neuter which can cost as much as $500 or more by the time you complete all of the necessary care to keep your kitten healthy. If you adopt from a shelter, rescue or the Humane Society, the adoption fee often covers most of these things for a LOT less money.

Minuit AKA Miss Meany

If you can't afford to purchase a kitten, you certainly can't afford to own one.
Allie is correct. Medical care is required for pets. Vaccines, spay/neuter (all responsible pet owners should do this) and God forbid your pet becomes sick or injuried. Nothing is free, everything cost you something sooner or later.

Minuit AKA Miss Meany answered on 8/28/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

You are better off going to your local SPCA or other shelter and adopting a kitten there. At our local SPCA its $85 to adopt a kitten and that covers geting them fixed and their shots which is a lot cheaper than you'd have to pay to get that done yourself.

I'm a breeder, and even though I charge money for my kittens, I either make a bit of money (not much), no money, or lose money. My last litter consisted of seven kittens, and aside from health care for the mother, the kittens got vaccinations, $100 per cat, health exams and health certificates (again, around $100 per cat), not to mention the occasional emergency visit. And then there was the 3-5 month expenditure for food (kittens are gluttons, and I was feeding them expensive food) and kitty litter (what goes in must come out...). And I still have one kitten left over. So, if you come upon a sign that says "Free Kittens," take the other posters' advice and remember that, if you're a responsible owner who gives your cat the proper shots, wellness checks, emergency care, and who spays or neuters the kitten when it's time, you'll find that not only is there no such thing as a free lunch, there's no such thing as a free kitten. Good luck!

All the other posters are right. You need to be prepared for the fact that your "free" kitten may live to be 20 years old. That's a lot of food and litter. At some point, your cat may get sick. If you are a responsible owner, you will take your cat to the vet to make it better. That costs money as well. In our home, we have 6 animals, including one very ill Golden Retriever who has required much vet care over the past few months. Our vet bills top $1000 each year. But, do we just let our animals sicken and die because we don't want to spend the bucks to care for them? You can find free kittens listed in any newspaper or driving down the street. But as was said, if you are a responsible, loving, decent pet owner, you take them to the vet and after that provide them with everything they need for a safe, healthy and loving home. If you can't afford that, stick with Webkinz!

Belle

go driving in the country. i always see signs for free kittens or kittens for sale when i drive through the country.

but like the other posters said, beware of the additional costs to owning a kitten. it will need to be spayed/neutered, vaccinations, kitty litter, toys, and food!!!

Belle answered on 8/28/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

♥Sam

If you think you can get away with not vaccinating and not neutering, then you are asking for more trouble, and they may not necessary turn into nice kitties. Male kitties spray a pungent smell that reeks and hard to get rid of. Females will have more kittens (more money as she will need more food to sustain herself). Not to mention adding to the over population. Also unneutered cats tend to wander and get into more fights (more vet bills). Sorry to be so negative but it's better to have the facts. Paying for a healthy kitty from the SPCA maybe well worth it. As it should have all the first vacc’s and neutered, saving you heaps in the long run.

♥Sam answered on 8/29/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Gracie

Sam and the others have it absolutely right. Besides, if you live in the US, many states and counties require you to register your pets. You have to pay a fee, and to have rabies vaccinations and spay/neuter documentation.

If your pet gets lost and ends up in a shelter, you would only get it back with a proof of registration (which you get when you pay to adopt a shelter cat, btw), If you go to a shelter to claim your unneutered and unvaccinated pet, you will find that the shelter will have done those things for him, and will ask for reinbursement.

Not making this up. I overheard all that while waiting to talk to an adoption counselor at my local shelter about 4 years ago (before I had cats), as a caseworker explained that to someone who was there to claim their lost pet. If she refused to pay, she could not get her cat back, and it would be adopted out instead.

Save yourself the heartbreak. Wait to get a cat until you are ready to afford it.

Gracie answered on 8/29/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

KINK'EE

WHAT CITY DO YOU LIVE IN? I have begun helping rescue stray cats and kittens and know of alot of people in washington that have kittens they rescue and do you live in the state of washington?

KINK'EE answered on 9/1/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Panther

I have a free pure black 8 month old kitty. She had litle white furs on her chin and tummy.

Panther answered on 12/3/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer