I have two dogs (males) & one 2 yr cat (female). Thinking about adopting a new playmate for my cat.

Is adopting a kitten better than say a 1 yr cat? Since I already have a female cat (who was a stray-street kitten when I rescued her) what gender is best? She is VERY friendly with dogs (sometimes I think she thinks she is one), so I am nervous how she will react to a new catmate as she has never been introduced to one before.

Asked by Member 1009530 on Jul 10th 2013 in The Adoption Process

Answers

I always recommend a friend (spayed or neutered) of the opposite sex. I had an older boy and girl and a younger boy and girl pair at the same time as well, and we did not have problems until very late in one's life when she wanted to be left alone. Besides that, I hear of animals who do not get along with others, especially same-sex dominance issues, but if you introduce them slowly and keep giving the older housemate as much attention as before, you should not have a problem. ^_^

I have the same situation, bnly I have a dog who thinks she's a cat, plus Izzie, a cat who thinks he's a dog. (Very weird!) Anyway, when you decide to adopt, go to a reputable shelter. PetsMart also has an adoption center. Speak with the shelter staff and share with them the personalities of your dogs and your cat. Share your lifestyle and how much time you have to spend with your animals, including socializing the new cat into your household. Ask for tips on how to introduce the newbie to the residents and follow their advice. The staff knows their cats and they will be able to advise you on which of their cats will fit into your lifestyle, be it a kitten or a grown cat. I could never have a kitten because I have a predatory Husky/Shepherd and a kitten wouldn't fare well, so if your dogs like to hunt and chase small creatures, share this with them also. There are a lot of owner-surrendered cats in shelters now and a lot of them DO get along with dogs and other cats.