I have two cats and just moved in with friends who also have two cats. One of my cats is being picked on is unhappy.

The cat being picked on just sitss under the bed all day until I get home. The cat is also losing weight and I have to take her to eat and use the litter box.

She is 2 and a half and lived with one other cat her whole life and has been fine. The oe cat she previously lived with would pick on her but it was more playful and she could handle it. It is more so the new cats picking on her. She is a quiet and reserved cat.

Asked by Member 1142318 on Nov 26th 2012 in Socialization

Answers

When introducing cats to each other, it's always a good idea to keep the "newbies" separated from the resident cats in their own room with their own boxes and food dishes. If your shy cat is picked on when she's on the way to the box, unfortunately, she will stop using the box. Keep her in "her" room with box, food and water and let her become accustomed to the other cats and the new home. It may take weeks, but it has to be done this way. Pay as much attention to her, in a reassuring and kind way, as you can. Let her know that everything will work out and that you, "her person" are there for her.

I had similar situation & I had to put a dish of dry food, water & litter in a separate room (try the room where she sits under the bed) Also the cats who are picking on her have to be taught to "behave" no hitting or yelling-all it takes is a "stern" voice.I made sure I followed every time I saw the "bully" chasing the picked on cat (Sara) & steered him away. When I was not home they were separated.There is not much else you can do.It helps to rectify the situation faster until they get used to each other. I hope this helps. (BTW I have 6 cats & have learned a LOT in the last 12 years)