i have heard from a friend that orange tabby female cats are rare and often die soon after birth? Is this true

Orange Tabby female cats/birth defects

Asked by Member 662361 on Jul 27th 2008 in American Shorthair

Best Answer

Boris

Female orange tabbies only happen about 25% of the time, and require for both parents to have an orange coat gene, so that the XX combination determines that they must be red. That makes them rarer than males certainly (because in males the X gene in the XY combination takes over, so that even if both parents were not orange, a cat with an X orange gene will be orange - it happens more often in other words).

As for defects and dying after birth? Uh... no. Your friend is wrong. My mom was an orange tabby, she looked like a smaller version of me. She is about 9 months older than me, and while she does not live with my human parents and I, we hear she was and is in really good health.

Boris answered on Jul 27th.

Answers

In the cat world, "orange" is referred to as "red." Red in cats is a sex-linked color, carried on the X gene. Therefore, a male cat whose X carries red will be a red tabby, regardless of what his Y gene carries. A female cat has two X genes, so must be homozygous for red (have it on both X genes) to be a red tabby. This is why you see more male red tabbies than females. Red females are far from rare, however, and I have never heard of them dying soon after birth.

I always call Buttercup "marmalade" in color...She is a female.
I know males of this color are more common but don't think females are rare.

Philbert

The others have pretty much said the science behind it but I can vouch that my roomate has a beautiful marmalade girl that is healthy and defect free.

Philbert answered on 7/27/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Bella (In Loving Memory)

I'm a vet tech and have worked in the field for years. There is absolutely NO truth to that statement about orange females whatsoever!

Bella (In Loving Memory) answered on 7/27/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Kaci Sunshine - Beloved Angel

I won't repeat all of the bio/science info above, all of it excellent. I'm an orange female tabby and apparently both mom and dad were either orange tabbies or a calico and orange tabby. Female all-orange tabby cats are certainly not rare but not as common as male orange tabby cats. Statistics vary. Dr. Plotnick on the Cat Channel website writes that it's about a 80/20 male to female ratio. I've also read articles that give a 3:1 ratio. The first time mom and I became aware of this was from a certified vet tech who works at the vet clinic we use, who told us that female orange tabbies are uncommon and only 10,000 out of 100,000 are female (we don't know where she got that statistic). We knew nothing about it until she told us and then we researched it a little. As for dying soon after birth, that's not true! I've managed to live 12 years so far with no problem!

Kaci Sunshine - Beloved Angel answered on 7/28/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

the kaya skye & shyloh paige

we're a little more statistically anomalous-two orange girls from the same litter-but i guess the genetic lottery just came up the same way twice? or something? either way we're nine months old now and doing just fine. to repeat what everyone else has said, just to give it added weight: orange female kitties are less common but not terribly rare, are are no more likely to have birth defects than any other domestic short-hair-which means not likely at all.

the kaya skye & shyloh paige answered on 7/28/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer