I have a snow shoe seal point mix about 9 months old. She will without notice jump at our faces with her claws out.

She is usually very loving, but she is faster than we can be with the spray bottle. I have started putting her in a carrier after she does it, but it's not long before she does it again. I don't know what else to try.

Asked by Member 1141410 on Nov 19th 2012 in Behavior & Training

Answers

First of all, learn how to trim those needle sharp points off her claws and keep them trimmed. Declawing can cause her to bite rather than claw. Make sure that you play with her to divert her "attack" reflexes by using a feather wand or a simple toilet tissue tube on a string to let her "stalk". Don't get her so "worked up" that she has to let out her energy by attacking you. She has to learn that's not acceptable. You can also tape a few pennies in a soda can and shake it at her when she jumps at you. After a while, cats become used to the spray and in Izzie's case, he thinks it's fun! Also cats will sometimes attack because they don't feel well. If your's hasn't been to a vet in a while and is not spayed, it might be a good idea to at least call them. When you do play with her, always use a toy and never your hands or feet and don't put your face on her level. Kittens, like baby humans, need to learn what's acceptable and what's not. Vets can help you with training also.

Pyewacket

My Pye, a blue point Siamese, did that at about the same age - although she never put her claws out. I was so concerned I had a Animal Communicator come out to see if there was something wrong. She taught me that because I was anticipating it, I was picturing it happening and the kitty thought that's what I wanted. Who knows? Whenever I could see she was in a position to "strike" I would picture her getting in my lap and petting her. Sometimes it worked... or not. But it did get better. And, of course, when I added another kitty to our household... it stopped altogether. Never never declaw! Good Luck.

Pyewacket answered on 11/23/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer