I have a neutered male, he tried to mate with the new kitten,he was violent with her.Got her spayed,will he hurt her?

Asked by Member 1082471 on Jan 6th 2012 in Aggression

Answers

Hazel Basil

How was the introduction process with your new kitty and the resident male? Has he ever lived with another cat? The issue might be that he is just trying to show his dominace to her and let her know who's boss. If they have not lived with each other very long you may have to separate them and let them get used to each other slowly. Look online at cat introductions. There is a whole series on YouTube called kitten connection. As far as him getting violent, it may happen to show that he is the alpha cat so make sure to supervise or separate them until you are 100% certain he is comfortable with the kitten. Good luck and keep us updated! And join Catster so we can see your two kitties!!!

Hazel Basil answered on 1/6/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Your male cat is trying to show that he is the dominant cat! I had a spayed female and my neighbor's neutered male would come over and "hump" her. He only started doing this when his brother died. My cat didn't seem to mind it and he didn't hurt her. It was pretty funny watching because sometimes my cat would tolerate it and sometimes she would smack him when he jumped off of her. It's nothing to worry about unless your male gets too rough! I am glad you got your cats fixed. It's the best thing for both of them. Best of luck.

Are you sure he was trying to mate? My male cat will get on top of his mother and bite her neck, similar to mating, but it's not. He's just showing her he's dominant. It's very annoying!