I have a long haired cat who sometimes get poop stuck to her fur. How can I get the poop out? Also can I cut the fur?

Asked by Member 560584 on Jan 20th 2008 Tagged poop, grooming in Home Grooming

Answers

Tinker Bell 2003-2006

Just cut it out. (MOL, no pun intended!) Pick it up with a paper towel and put it into the trash can. Yes, you might want to cut the fur around her anal area. Even though I was a short-haired cat, I got poop stuck on me once too.

Tinker Bell 2003-2006 answered on 1/20/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

patches

I AM A DIRTY BUTT GIRL AND MY MEOWMIE HAD TO GO BUY SOME BARBER SHEERS AND TRIM MY TOOSHY AND AROUND AND EVEN DOWN MY LEGS TO PREVENT ANY ACCIDENTS... THIS DOES HELP AND WASH WITH WARM WASHCLOTH TO PREVENT ANY INFECTIONS FROM HAPPENING IF YOUR LIKE ME I AM FAT AND LAZY MY MEOWMIE DOES ALL MY HEAVY CLEANING FOR ME... JUST BE CAREFUL ;)

patches answered on 1/20/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Delilah

This is one of the true tests of loving a cat. Delilah has long black fur and I'm often "back there" with the Furminator/comb/brush/wet paper towel. If it grosses you out or is particularly nasty, get some of those latex gloves the doctor and nurses wear. You can absolutely cut the fur or have a professional groomer or even your vet cut around the little poop chute. To be serious, it's important that you do this for her. If she's an outdoor cat, in the summer, feces left stuck to her bottom can attract flies that lay eggs in it and the eggs hatch in to maggots...see where I'm going with this? I've seen it happen when I rescued strays. When I get Delilah the Divine Diva in a strangle-hold and groom her at great peril to my personal safety and well-being, combing her cute little tush is just part of what she has to tolerate. Do it quickly, thoroughly and then get the heck out of there until next time. That's what I do... ;-)

Delilah answered on 1/21/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Minxzie

Please don't cut it out. Sometimes people will cut the skin *ouch*! What I did was buy baby electric clippers which I bought at Sears for around 15.00 or so. They are quiet enough that it won't scare kitty and you can clip the hair around the bum area and legs low. The larger clippers like Wahal(sp) are way to loud so stay away from them. I have a MC and she is really fuzzy and her poo would stick to her bum all the time. Now that I have clipped the hair low it is a lot better. If kitty has runny poo also then it is easier to clean up with just some baby wipes when the hair is trimmed. Good luck.

Minxzie answered on 1/31/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer