I have a long-haired cat. How often should I be combing her? She might be part Maine Coon.

I could provide pictures to someone who might have an answer. Currently, I comb her with a rotating tooth comb about 2 times a week.

Asked by Member 1040443 on Jul 10th 2011 Tagged groomingmainecoon in Home Grooming

Answers

It depends on how much she grooms herself. Izzie is part Maine Coon and is always grooming himself, but to cut down on shedding, I groom both my cats nightly. It's become a routine and the more often you do it, the less hair you'll have around the house, the more used to being groomed they will get, and the healthier their skin will be. It's not fatal if you miss a day, but try to brush her as often as you can.

Bigode

Ok, I’m a short hair cat, but I LOVE being brushed! Mommy brushes me every night and when I see my brush, I immediately look for a comfortable place to lay down and enjoy the brushing session (it is almost a spa for me!).

For long hair cat people recommend to comb/brush daily (of course, if you miss a day or two it wouldn’t be a problem). As often you brush your cat as fewer hair balls problems she will have and comb/brush her will be easier and faster to do.

If she doesn’t like being combed/brushed you should train her. The key is always associate being combed/brushed with some thing good. You could give her treats while you comb her or you could talk to her using a very nice tone of voice. Another advice is respect her timing. For some cats (specially for kittens), stay still for more than 5 minutes just for being brushed is TOO BORING! For those, comb/brush a little and when the kitten is bored, stop and do it late or the next day (mommy does this with my brother).
Meows!

Bigode answered on 7/12/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer