I have a 4 year old male cat and a few days ago I adopted a 4 month old kitten. I've introduced them twice now. My older

Asked by Member 1194354 on Oct 14th 2013 Tagged cat, kitten in Aggression

Answers

If you adopted a girl you would be having an easier time with the introductions, so I'm guessing you got a boy. There are instinctual territory issues involved- your new guy thinks that once this new one grows up, he has to move. You must convince him that this is not true with treats, toys and extra attention. No introductions should occur without a visit to the vet first. Then, supervised introductions only for the first week. The new cat should not even meet your cat the first night, rather keep him in a bathroom with everything that he needs in there... it is probably way bigger than a typical shelter cage. Once they're okay together without incident overnight while you're home, then you can leave them out together for short periods when you're not home while working. I wouldn't leave the kitten out all day with the other (that is probably four times his size) for at least two weeks. if you show favoritism to the new guy, your older one could start peeing in the house. ^_^