I have a 1 year old cat who just got spayed. Well I have been giving her her Buprenex,but that doesn't stop her from jum

Asked by Member 1134070 on Oct 3rd 2012 in Spaying & Neutering

Answers

Unless your cat is truly "off the wall", I know that she will not intentionally injure herself. Take a look at her incision. If it looks OK, no drainage, unusual swelling, "open spots", it doesn't feel very hot to the touch, chances are she's OK. I've honestly never had to sedate any of my animals after spay/neuter surgery and they've all been fine. Keep a close eye on her and if she appears to be in a lot of pain or if anything unusual happens around her incision, then call the vet.

Your vet should have instructed you to keep kitty safe and not allow her to jump, especially while she is on buprenex. Keep a check on her incision and make sure there are no signs of infection (redness, pus, etc.). If there are any signs of infection, she needs to get back to the vet ASAP for an antibiotic. She needs to be kept confined to a small area (one bedroom maybe) so that she won't be climbing stairs and jumping. You need to restrict her activity for at least one (1) week. Best of luck.