i have 2 calico kittens and they claw our furniture and chew on wires how do i train them cause they do not listen to me

Asked by Member 1147558 on Dec 31st 2012 in Behavior & Training

Answers

Kittens can be a handful! They must be trained just like you'd train a child that some things are not acceptable. Chewing on wires is dangerous. Put a few pennies in a soda can and tape the top shut. When you see them gnawing the wires, shake it at them and say a loud "NO!" You don't want to use a spray bottle since they are near electricity. Like with a human child, you must provide many outlets for their energy. Get scratch boxes (corrugated cardboard) that you can spray with catnip to attract them. When they use them, praise them! Play with them as much as you can. Kittens also LOVE those climbing trees and platforms and they aren't THAT expensive. Also, if you do not already have a vet on board, get one asap. They have a LOT of knowledge about kitten training and can be a big help!

Blossom Brody vas Ratsbane

My parents have cat-proofed the house so that I can't easily claw or chew furniture and cords. They raise their voice whenever I do something naughty, and sometimes spray me with a water bottle or ring a can filled with coins. Boy that makes me stop quick!

Mom doesn't let us have any cloth or leather furniture, instead we only have wood and microfiber so our nails don't catch in the cloth or scratch the leather. We also like to chew leather!

Mom also puts aluminum foil on hidden cords that I'm not supposed to chew on. Boy I hate that crinkly noise and it doesn't feel good on my teeth!

She also has this orange oil essence she sprays on the visible cords so it tastes nasty when we try to chew it!

Most recently...she bought this terrible device called SCAT that keeps my sister from chewing the fake plant. I don't go NEAR that thing anymore.

Blossom Brody vas Ratsbane answered on 1/8/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer