I had two cats it's been two years and half and they've been always BEST friends, until 4 days back they had a fight ove

I had two cats it's been two years and half and they've been always BEST friends (brother & sister), until 4 days back they had a fight over a mice toy, and everything has flipped, now they are real enemies in a scary way. I took the female to do her the spaying surgery yesterday, I thought maybe this can help reduce her anger as I did for the boy a year ago, but even after her surgery and she still weak and she can barely move, when she saw him she chased him with tension and anger. I really don't know what to do as they are putting me in such a tense mood, and I don't know how to deal with the situation, now she is locked in a room with the litter and food. please advise.

Asked by Member 1177065 on Jun 26th 2013 Tagged fight, twocats in Behavior & Training

Answers

Before she was spayed, the female may have been coming into heat. This will make her aggressive and very combative (think "PMS"). Now, she is post-surgical and probably in a bit of pain. It concerns me that she is so affected by the surgery, although it's only been a day or so and she may still be somewhat "out of it". If her lethargy continues, she isn't eating or drinking and isn't coming around, you need to at least call the vet if not bring her back to the clinic. While you are there or on the phone, tell them what is happening and that this is a sudden change in behavior. Between you and her vet, it is possible to figure out if this is a health issue for her or a stress issue. For right now, I would continue to keep the cats separated as you are doing. Visit with the female regularly in her room, speak to her and reassure her that you will do all you can to figure out what's going on, and treat the male the same way. Good luck, Keep us updated on your progress!