Kobi

I had my 1 yr old male neutered and since then he hates me only he is fine w/ everyone else in the house. Please help

I recently adopted a 1 yr old male and I had him neutered. Since his trip to the vet he hates me. He is fine with everyone else at home but me. The minute I come home he starts wanting to fight and whining. He was a very sweet cat before being neutered. My husband said he is just mad at me for taking him to the vet but he is home now. Also when I am home he runs everywhere he will not walk. He has kept me up every night all night since last saturday night. Does anyone have any suggestions for us to try? I have speak to the vet and he suggested waiting a week or so but I don't know how long I can go without sleep. I try to love on him and sometime he will let me and sometimes he won't

Asked by Kobi on Apr 15th 2008 Tagged neuteredmale in Behavior & Training

Best Answer

I agree that Kobi might associate you with his trip to the vet's, but not that he's "mad" at you. I closed Ernie's tail in the door the other day and within 5 minutes, he was on my lap and asleep. I'm sure Kobi doesn't understand what neutering is all about and the mechanics of having his testicles removed, etc.He's certainly not angry with you because now he can't make kittens! If he understands THAT then you should call Jay Leno and go on his show with your genius! He may still be sore or a little freaked out from the anesthesia. My animals get all excited when they see me and run around because I'm the one who feeds them. How is Kobi keeping you up? Is he crying? Have you checked his incision? Could it be infected? You can always try a little one on one time playing with Kobi. Does he have a favorite toy? If not then why not buy him one, like a laser pointer or catnip mice or one of those fishing pole toys and just YOU play with him. You did the right thing by having him fixed!

Izadore (Izzie) answered on Apr 15th.

Answers

Freddie (Adopted!!!)

Kobi is definetely mad at you. My foster mom told me that her relationship with Joe (the big Orange resident kitty at our house) changed after he was neutered. He always loved his daddy, but really wants to be a daddy only kitty since he was neutered. Foster mom blames it on the fact that he associated his vet visit with her. I know that things got better though so I hope they do for you. Foster mom suggests you contact your vet for some assistance on what to do given his current behavior. Do give him lots of love even though he wants nothing to do with you. All the best, Freddie!

Freddie (Adopted!!!) answered on 4/15/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Harvey

Kobi sure is a gorgeous, BIG boy! It sounds to me like he was weirded out by the vet trip and blames you for the whole experience, though, as Izzie says, he's probably not enough of a genius to be resenting you for having deprived him of his virility (I, Harvey, on the other hand, AM a genius, and want back what was stolen from me--BUT IT'S TOO LATE!!! Calling Jay Leno...) Anyway, I think it's a fair bet that Kobi will come around. As others have said, don't give up on showing him affection (though don't force it on him), have one-on-one play sessions, and make sure that YOU are the only one who feeds him--that's the sure way to a cat's heart. As for the running around...hmmm, an aftereffect of the anesthesia? Joy at being home? If it continues, call your vet. And, this is a bit off-topic, but I read somewhere that it's usually the wife who takes the male cat for his little operation, because hubby sorta sees the whole thing in a personal light ("What if it were ME???)

Harvey answered on 4/16/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

I'm agreeing with everyone else here. I would suggest that not only do you be the one who feeds him, but maybe you be the one who gives him special treats. What's his favorite thing in the whole known universe? For Oscar, it's tuna. He will stand on his head and bark like a dog for tuna. That way, he starts to associate you with good things and not just that trip to the nasty ole vet.

To-bey (rhymes w/obey)

What a beautiful boy you have. Have you tried Feliway diffusers? They will help calm him down. Also buy the spray for a quick burst of "phermones" and relaxation. You can get them at any pet store and since you're in a rush buy them at the pet store but buy all you refills on line -- you'll save more than 1/2 on each. Or buy one diffuser and the spray. Sometimes it's okay just to give him a treat and walk away. Everyday spend a little more time with him. Use the spray as directed and it should help. Also there are natural remedies you can add to Kobi's water and it'll also help him relax. Good luck.

To-bey (rhymes w/obey) answered on 4/16/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Years ago, my children had a young tomcat who went everywhere they went. I don't know why I let them take the cat in the car, but he was no problem, so.. Then I took him to be nuetered. From that day forward he hated riding in the car with a passion. Somehow he associated riding in the car with the pain. When he was a full grown 18 pounder, we moved. That was the longest 150 mile trip of my life.
All the posters gave good advice- especially about the feeding. Cats are so food orientated. At least, Sugar is.