Olivia

I guesss I'm just a domestic mix, but do I have a lot of Maine Coon or Norwegian Forest in me?

I'm a "kennel kitten," so no papers. I have long hair, tufts coming out of my ears, white-tipped paws, a white tummy, ridiculously long whiskers, and a long, bushy tail. The humans say I'm the friendliest cat they've ever met! I'm a year and a half old, and I'm medium-sized, but they tell me I still have two and a half years to grow!

I always assumed I was your typical domestic long (medium?) hair mix. The humans were flipping through a breed book, however, and found pics of NFC cats that looked EXACTLY like me! How much NFC or Maine Coon do I have in me? I'd be happy to post different photos if there's something in particular that you need to see.

Asked by Olivia on Mar 5th 2009 in Norwegian Forest Cat

Answers

Mr. Fez (Angel Dreamboat #25)

Well, technically unless you were purchased from a breeder and are registered with papers - you don't have a breed. You are a Domestic Mediumhair or Domestic Longhair respectively. It does look like you might have some Main Coon in you... but it's only a guess. Norwegian Forest Cats are more rare, so much less likely you have NFC in you. Guessing the background of a Domestic mix cat is just that - a guess. You are a pretty girl and don't need a breed.

Mr. Fez (Angel Dreamboat #25) answered on 3/5/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I think there's some MC in your interesting and storied lineage.

We mixes are far too interesting to be one breed! :D

Welcome to Catster, Olivia! I know that Maine Coon mixes are much more common than Norwegian Forest Cat mixes, but wow, you sure look like an NFC. Cat Fancy magazine has featured both breeds in the past few months, and I'm sure if you contacted them you could get back issues. Whatever you are, you certainly are beautiful, and the photo of you with your pawrents is really nice!

Yes, Olivia, you are a gorgeous cat. And we do need more photos. After a year of spending thousands of dollars having my Maine Coons judged at cat shows, I'd say you're a mix of a generic cat and a naturally-occurring Maine Coon. But--this is the interesting part--Maine Coons are thought to be related to NFCs. The chances of your having a pedigreed MC in your background are small. Smaller still are your chances of having a pedigreed NFC ancestor. MCs and NFCs look very much alike, but if you have seen as many as I have (ohh, those endless hours in the show ring), you find that they are distinct. You do not look like a NFC to me. You look like a moggie with indigenous Maine Coon blood, which is somehow related to NFCs. Complicated, right? Send us more photos. We love these riddles.

Without papers, he is a DSH. Most cats we own are mixed breed domestic cats, not purebreds. If your cat has some similar features as a purebred cat which you've seen, it doesn't necessarily mean your cat is that breed. For instance, a shorthair cat that was born in America is not necessarily an American Shorthair cat. Just as not every black cat is a Bombay, and not every gray cat is a Chartreux. Also terms like calico, tortoise shell, tabby, and tuxedo are words used to describe the color and pattern; they are not breeds.

A domestic shorthaired cat (DSH) is a cat fancy term used to describe a shorthaired cat that does not have a pedigree or belong to a recognized cat breed. The domestic shorthair should not be confused with the American Shorthair, which is a Cat Fanciers' Association (CFA) recognized breed.

Sorrel

omgoodness you are soo pretty and you really look like a NFC and a MC but they are kinda rare so your probably only MC mix but you are lucky to have him

Sorrel answered on 5/31/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer