i found a worm on my bed where my kitty was sleeping, it was brown and very small and sort of round. help!!

not sure what i found. i put it in a baggie. is it roundworm? should i go to vet? both of my boys seem purrfectly fine, no other symptoms.

Asked by Member 818407 on Mar 22nd 2009 in Worms & Parasites

Answers

Roundworms are long, white worms, somewhat resembling cooked spaghetti. I'd take the one you found to the vet. You might also want to take a stool sample from your cat so the vet can check for parasites.

It sounds like a roundworm. I was surprised to find that my purebred Maine Coon suddenly threw up a bunch of roundworms, which were about three inches long and still moving. By the time I took the worms to the vet, they were brown and shrunken. Do go to the vet with the worm and a stool sample. Roundworms are easy to get rid of--in my case, all I needed was a single dose of medication. And you should definitely get other cats in the household treated, because they are likely to have been infected as well. Roundworm medicine is not expensive, and what you get at the vet's is better than anything you can get at the pet shop. Good luck. And occasional deworming in the future may not be necessary, but useful.