I am looking in to getting a SMALL cat that is good with kids dogs and is Hypoallergenic??? Please help

I have a small morkie dog that is 5 pounds and very playful she is a year old she had a ball playing with my cousins Kitten the cats is a normal cat that she got for free (sorry new to cats not sure what to call a everyday cat) and now my daughter wants a cat she is 7 and my son is 5 so I need a cat that is good with kids and because Sookie ( my morkie) is 5 pounds I need a small small cat and my mother is allergic so I also need it to be Hypoallergenic please some one help me it would be a Christmas gift so I have a little time please help

Asked by Member 1037531 on Jul 29th 2012 in Breeds

Answers

I hate to rain on your parade, but whenever you already know there is someone with an allergy to cats in your family, it's not a good idea to add a cat to your family. More often than not, the cat winds up back at the shelter or worse. There is no such thing as a totally hypo-allergenic cat. It's the dander on the skin and not the fur that causes the reaction and all cats have dander. Allergies can be overcome, but it takes a lot of work and constant cleaning to keep the dander down in your home. I also hesitate to agree with getting a cat "for the kids" as this often goes bad as well. The kids are in school, busy and soon lose interest in the new animal and mom gets stuck. However, if your children, especially your son, have been raised to treat animals with love, gentleness and respect, you may not have this issue. Do not bring an animal into your home at the Holidays. This is a crazy time. Add it after the Holidays are over. Give a stuffed animal with an "IOU" tag on it.

i'm not trying to be rude but i didn't ask for ur opinion i know that i will be taken care of the cat its not like i would leave it up to my 7 year old i thought that was a given guess not my mom is allergic but does not live with me i want a hypoallergenic cat so it would be ez on her when she comes over and i was not going to give her the cat for christmas i know that it is the worst time to get a pet i was going to give her a letter from santa sayin that there is the perfect kitten out there just for her all she has to do is find it so thanks for not answering my question

Ace

Here are some I ran into:
Devon rex cat
Sphynx Cat
Siberian Cat-some research on this ( pets.webmd.com )

And in this link you may find some helpful information:
www.cat

Ace answered on 7/31/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Batfink

I actually developed irritation when Batfink came to live with us,ive always been with medium to long hair cats,Batfink is a short hair and it got right up my nose and made me sneeze and my eyes water for weeks, so i guesse hair type...might not be your only worry,i also have a friend who is allergic to cats ...i have three, and she visits regularly,we usually stay in the kitchen and give the cats the run of the house, so they dont irritate her, but even when shes in the house, because i brush, and hoover and dust twice a day (ha ha im crazy!) it doesnt bother her, clean house is the key for your mum. Heres an idea though, why dont you have a look and ask about to see if anyone needs a cat looked after while on holiday or something, that way youll get an idea of how your family will adjust??Why not buy a cat care/cat breed book,remember not to make any rash descisions,a healthy cat may reach 20years old.

Batfink answered on 8/3/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer