I am about to adopt a 4-month old male kitten who has just been neutered. Should I be concerned about him spraying?

Asked by Member 1126870 on Aug 21st 2012 in Behavior & Training

Answers

Your kitten has been neutered before he was really able to develop the uber-territorial behavior of a male cat who was desexed as an adult. However, even cats who have been desexed can spray--females as well as males. That doesn't mean that your walls and doorways will be covered with cat pee. Izzie is 5 and I think he's sprayed twice in his life, once when we'd just moved here and once when a stray cat started to show up in our yard. In answer to your question, no, I would not be concerned. just watchful. There is no guarantee he will spray, and unfortunately, none that he won't. If he does, clean the area with a bleach-based cleaner if you can or with an enzymatic one like Nature's Miracle (pet stores).