I adopted a five months old American tortoise cat 2 weeks back. Her ex-owner left her cause apparently she was too ugly.

When i first got her she was very active and very cute, but she did have a fungal infection. Then 4 days ago, she started vomiting and refused to eat anything again and got diarrhea twice on the same day the vomiting started. Then now shes been refusing to eat and i have to force feed her everyday. I took her to the vet he said she has giarida, so he gave me some medicine to give her and she has a flu. I give her her antibiotics daily, but no hope. she keeps barfing and doesnt move at all. Took her to the vet again, he gave her some injections and ringer lactate solution, and told me to give her low fat yogurt and some chicken soup. I feed her, but then in 6 hours she barfs it all again. Now she makes a weird sound every now and then like shes in pain. And she hasnt done number 2 since the first day she barfed. she also waalks funny. very funny and weird. Vet also recommended i shave for her to treat her fungal infection better. I dont know what to do anymore.

Asked by Member 1155010 on Feb 13th 2013 Tagged illcat in Illness & Disease

Answers

Splat Cat

Your cat neesds to be seen by a vet ASAP. I would wonder if your cat might have a got obstruction or foreign body or other serious problem. Has the vet checked her for foreign bodies in the digestive system or other digestive system problems? Shaving a cats fur off will make it easier to treat a fungal infection. Vanilla yogurt is a good food to give an animal because it helps populate the bowel with beneficial enzymes. Make sure you tell your vet or if you seek a second opinion, make sure you tell the vet all you can about your cat's history & everything about the cat's problems & what medications, etc your cat has been given already.. I'm not sure what you mean by a flu, if you mean upper respiratory problems or what. If he hasn't already, your vet may able to give you something to help your cat with her vomiting & nausea. And your kitty isn't ugly, she's just ill. Hopefully she will be better again very soon.

Splat Cat answered on 2/13/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

West

I just wanted to say that you are a wonderful person for helping this poor girl out. Illness can be frustrating and stressful, for both kitten and for you!

I would recommend seeing another vet, and immediately, because something is clearly wrong. Tell them about all of her previous diagnoses and do not leave until a test has been done to confirm what's going on.

You are both in my thoughts!!

West answered on 2/14/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

The Three Stooges

If there is nothing lodged in her stomach, seems like she is having a severe reaction to something.
I have 12 cats, and I use Angstrom Mineral's Silver Water- 600 ppm- to keep them healthy. 1 TBSP per gallon of water, but with a sick cat, I syringe a tsp straight to their mouths 2x per day and rub it on their fur for good measure. It got rid of giardia, hepres, coccidia, etc. in all my cats with no toxic antibiotics or side-effects.
Silver water is the best antibacterial, anti-microbial product you can use for you and your cat.

Cold pressed coconut oil is also very nutritious, bio-available, and is very easy on the stomach. I use it on all my cats and they are very healthy and shiny. When she can eat again, you may want to consider a single-source protein diet. It saved one of my cat's lives.

The Three Stooges answered on 2/16/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer