I adopted a female middle aged cat who was homeless, and I currently had 5. It has been 6 weeks, and she is still hissi

I adopted a female middle aged cat who was homeless, and I currently have 5. It has been 6 weeks, and she is still hissing, spitting, and being non friendly. She is declawed, and I am afraid to put her with the general cat population, so she has been confined to my bedroom for the past 6 weeks! They have sniffed her, been in the room with her, but no one gets along. What else can I do?

Asked by Member 1159388 on Mar 19th 2013 in Behavior & Training

Answers

Does she have back claws? If so, she will probably be fine, they use the back ones to fight other cats and their teeth. Beep has no front claws and she could kick any cats butt and probaby a dog too, she does fine. My aunt has 5 cats, and she swears by just letting them all work it out. There will be hissing and fighting though, I guarantee it. But you have to try if you want them to all live together. That said, my cat Beep cannot be around my other two cats, because she is beyond vicious to other cats, but she is not the typical cat. You have to let them have their work it out period and see what happens. Do not let them all gang up on her, I'd think maybe to put some of them up and let the more docile ones around her at first, and expect the hissing and growling for a while. Hope it all goes well. Bless you for taking in a homeless kitty, you changed her life :)