I adopted a female calico cat about 4-5 months ago from the humane society. "Roxie" is about 1 1/2 yr old, spayed, chipp

I adopted a female calico cat about 4-5 months ago from the humane society. "Roxie" is about 1 1/2 yr old, spayed, chipped and NOT de-clawed. She has been a wonderful house cat, but lately wants to go outside. I live in the country and there is lots for her to explore outside, but I'm afraid she will run away or get lost. Should I go outside with her, or trust that she will come back when she is ready?

Asked by Member 1139877 on Nov 9th 2012 in Behavior & Training

Answers

Batfink

Truthfully, i believe it is the responsibility of the individual to decide what is best for kitty,look at what is best for your cat,not all will agree, i would suggest you do not allow her free roam as the world is a scary and dangerous place for a kitty-cars,wildlife, fences traps disease..the list goes on. There is evidence to suggest that an indoor kittys can live longer,as there is less danger to their health indoors, Thats not to say you cannot compromise with Roxie,you could offer her visits to the outdoors in your garden, maybe on a leash to begin with,(not every cat with oblige to such indignity)or in an enclosed area?(make sure shes up to date on shots etc)One tip i find works very well is always to take Kitty on outdoor visits Before mealtimes, and then feed her or reward her with a treat on return.Hence she will know coming home is a good experience, and will always come back.If you feel you have to keep her in dont feel guilty, safety is paramount.hope you are both well.

Batfink answered on 11/9/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

A.J.

As crazy as it looks, I keep my A.J. on a lead outside. When he wants out I put his collar and lead on and he is happy as a lark. It fills his need to be outside, and makes me happy knowing he's safe/won't get lost, hurt, etc!

A.J. answered on 11/11/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer