I adopted a 3 year female and she's vicious!

I dont think she was abused or anything because I met the girl and she had a nice car, the house was not a mess it was clean and a fairly big house, she was for sure a working professional, the came with 7 toys, a food dish, her carrier,utter box, brand new litter, and food. So I think she came from a good home, and the girl said she is a very affectionate cat. Should I be worried she is acting like this, if I touch her she goes nuts and attacks I was bleeding last night it was that bad

Asked by Member 1147532 on Dec 31st 2012 in Adoption & Rescue

Answers

The police just arrested a man in my town who looked like a kind, old grandpa-type and turned out to be a pedophile, so appearances can be deceiving. If the girl was anxious to "get rid" of the cat, she could have told you anything and you'd pretty much have to believe her. Did you spend time with the cat in the girl's house? How did she act then? Was she friendly or as you say "vicious"? My suggestion is to set the cat up in her own room with food, water and litter. She will probably hide in a closet or under a bed. Don't touch her, as you've already learned. Let her explore and wander around your home. Speak softly and kindly to her and when you look at her, blink a lot as that's how cats understand you are friendly. to her but hands-off. She has to make up her own mind how this will go. And if you do not already have a vet on board...get one asap. Good luck!

Shiva

It sounds like your kitty was never properly socialized. If she was indoors all the time and did not get positive exposure to new people and places, then this is a life-changing traumatic even for your kitty.

Some people do not know how to properly socialize cats, and instead just let them roam around the house freely doing whatever they want and let them hide when anything scary happens. When the kitty was in her comfort zone, able to go about her business in her day to day life, she was probably affectionate.

My mom was a groomer, and she can attest to the fact the sweetest cat or dog can turn vicious when put in a new situation that they perceive as a danger or sudden change in routine.

The best thing is to have patience, work closely with the kitty in a controlled room where she cannot hide, show her you are providing the food and water so she starts to associate you with the comforts of home. Don't get closer to her than what you are both comfortable with at first.

Shiva answered on 1/8/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer