How to trap a sick feral cat?

I have been taking care of feral cats for a year now. One of them is extremely sick. He isn't eating so trapping him is next to impossible. He is losing weight rapidly and I don't know what to do for the poor little guy. It almost looks like he is having dental problems. He is starving...Just to let you know that he is in the feral cat program. The SPCA did lend me a trap however once he sees it he hides. I am thinking about making a drop trap for him but again he isn't eating anything..thankfully he is drinking cat milk and water, and yes I have been crushing dry food, baby pablum,and soft food for him..but wont touch anything. Help!!!!!!

Asked by Member 989556 on May 31st 2010 in Health & Wellness

Answers

Timmy Tomcat DB #122a

Thank you for your help! Alley Cat Allies is National and has information on their site.
Alley Cat Allies: www.alleycat.org
Are there any No-Kill shelters in your area?
Are there any local groups!
Did you Check AOL? Google?
Be very careful with a sick feral as we do not want you bitten or scratched.
Maybe the milk in the trap?
You do not want to chase him away.
Patience is the toughest part.

Please keep us informed of any progress if you can. Again! Thank you for caring!

Timmy Tomcat DB #122a answered on 5/31/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Please be extremely careful, as you don't know why this feral cat is sick. It could be anything. You have to use the Have-a-Heart trap provided by the SPCA. I am a feral cat rescuer and have dealt with all types of sick cats (including a 5-week old kitten who had rabies). I have been very successful in trapping feral cats with food (tuna is the best) and catnip. I got two in a trap in one night just using the catnip. Once you get the cat in the trap, cover the trap promptly with a large towel to calm the cat. You must keep an eye on the trap at all times so that it is not subject to another wild animal coming around, or nasty people who will do unmentionable cruel things! Always protect your hands with gloves when picking up the trap. Don't attempt to pick up the trap without protection on your hands and arms as well. You don't want to risk being bitten or scratched. Then transport the cat to a vet or clinic ASAP! Best of luck. Hope you get the little guy all fixed up!!