Sassy

How to stop a male cat from trying to mount a female?

I have been living with my humans for some time; I am a ten-year old spayed female. Last February, they adopted a then-five-year old male, who had been neutered a year or two previously. Usually, we get along okay, but every once in a while, he "forgets" that we're both fixed, and tries to mount me. I REALLY hate this, and if he keeps it up, one of these days I'm going to rip his throat out! (Which I'm sure would upset my humans.) They'd like to know if there is anything that they can do to prevent this behavior, rather than just stopping it once it starts by isolating him in the bathroom for 10-15 minutes (which usually works, but doesn't solve the problem given that they're not always here to intervene.) Are there specific triggers that can be eliminated to keep him from getting out of line?

Asked by Sassy on Nov 12th 2009 in Other Behavior & Training

Best Answer

Sadie/ In loving memory

Have your humans squirt him with water every time they see him do this. There is a spray I think it's called Feliway, this helps calm kitties. Maybe your humans can try the spray. I wouldn't like that either, I hope it works out.

Sadie/ In loving memory answered on Nov 12th.

Answers

Sadie's right, but don't spray the Feliway ON the cat. Mounting can also be a sign of dominance, excitement (not sexual), stress, and establishing of territory. If Sassy is letting the male know she doesn't like it,don't stop her. He'll get the message. If this is something that happens often and a lot, you may want to ask your vet about a low dose of kitty prozac for this guy to cool his jets.