Slyvy

How to protect a cats ears from pressure changes

I've taken my cat on an airplane before and she did ok, except for the pressure changes. She hated take off/landing and I could tell her ears hurt for a few days after. She's in the cabin with me and I'm wondering if anyone has any tips to help me protect my baby's ears?

Asked by Slyvy on Jun 6th 2011 in Air Travel

Answers

Cats do have much more sound-sensitive ears than people do and an airplane is LOUD even for a human. I've heard of people using children's foam earplugs for their dogs or cats to block some of the sound. I don't know of anything that can be done about pressure changes since you can't exactly get a cat to chew gum as a human would. If she likes treats and would eat them in that situation, you might want to feed her them during take-offs and landings. You can also check with her vet for more ideas.