Saydee

How to make a cat and a kitten get along?

I've had my cat for three years now, and for a long time, she was the only cat in the house. Last year, we got a new cat and she hated her forever. Now they tolerate eachother. Then the new cat had kittens, and I fell in love with one and I have to keep her. But now my older cat hates the kitten as much as she hates the mom. But to make things worse, the kitten sleeps in my room most nights, and thats where the older one sleeps a lot. I don't want to make my older cat feel like she's not welcome, but I don't want my kitten not to sleep in my room either. I doubt theres any way I can make them get along, but is there anything I can do to make my older cat less of a brat to the kitten?

Asked by Saydee on Jul 27th 2009 in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

If your cats are not spayed/neutered, that's your first step. Unaltered cats can be very aggressive and unfortunately see other cats as "competition" for the affections of the opposite sex. Altering your cats will cut down on the bad feelings quite a bit. Also, older cats do "teach" kittens. Kittens understand that when an older cat hisses or swats at them, they've gone over the line and need not to do whatever they were doing. Make sure all your cats have their own litter box and food dishes. They don't like to share. Of course, if your older cat is attacking the kitten with downright "hate" as you say, then your best bet is to rehome one of them before someone (including you) gets hurt or worse.

Minuit AKA Miss Meany

I have to agree, get those cats spayed. We are all educated on the problems this world is having with pet over population, the thousands of pets euthanized daily, simply because of irresponsibie pet owners not getting their family pets spayed and neutered. Anyway, I am a little confused. You know your older cat hates being near another cat because you say she hated Mom forever. So I'm surprised that you wouldn't expect the same behaviour with a kitten. Some cats are not social and much prefer to be the lone feline. The way I see the situation, you really don't have to keep this kitten, you choose to and I don't understand why you'd put your older cat through that. I would love to have more animals in my home, but I know my pets, especially my cat would hate it. Knowing her personality, I need to respect the fact that she likes to be the only queen in our home. Sometimes we need to think about what is best for our pets and not what is best for us.

Minuit AKA Miss Meany answered on 7/27/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer