Yoyo

How to help our cat adjust to a new house where two other cats used to live.

My male siamese has been neutered, but I'm still afraid he might spray in our new home, because two other cats used to live there.

Asked by Yoyo on Aug 4th 2012 Tagged newhome, spraying, othercats in Behavior & Training

Answers

Contrary to popular belief, neutering does not stop a cat from spraying. It's territorial. It does cut down on the incidents, but it doesn't eliminate them, unfortunately. If your cat scents the other (now gone) feline residents, he'll believe they're still there and spraying is a real possibility, especially if he is prone to spraying. I would suggest having the carpets and vents professionally cleaned and mention you are trying to destroy possible pet odors. You can also purchase things like "Zorbx" that is supposed to destroy odors and does work on some level. If your cat does spray, clean up the area immediately with an enzymatic cleaner such as Nature's Miracle or Simple Solution.