Gabby

How to help my cat lose weight but still be healthy and satisfied

Hello there, I need some advice on feeding my two cats. My first cat Lola, she is a black domestic short hair about the age of 7. She is almost 9lbs and the vet wants her down to just 7lbs. I feed her FROMM and 1/2 a cup a day free feeding. I was told to try canned food but she is weird with canned food. She is picky! The only way I can get her to eat canned food is if I mix it with the dry food. I have been feeding her Blue Buffalo and Pride. So far so good! The only issue is how should I feed it to her that is satisfying her but not giving her too much food? The serving size for her size says two cans per day but I want to incorporate dry food. I also have a 6 month old kitten and he eats anything but prefers wet food. I too mix his dry food and wet food. He has the FROMM kitten formula and it says to give him 2/3 cups a day. I have been giving him a can a day as well. Someone, please help me out. I want to feed my babies properly so they can be healthy! =)

Asked by Gabby on Jun 16th 2014 in Food & Nutrition

Answers

Lily

The most important thing when trying to get a cat to lose weight, is that they lose weight GRADUALLY. Too quick weight loss can cause fatty liver disease in cats. You might add some water to the canned food to help make your cat feel fuller when she eats it.

Lily answered on 6/25/14. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

You feed kittens according to the weight and age that they ARE, and overweight cats according to the weight that they should be. Reputable foods like Natural Choice have PER DAY feeding guidelines on the side of the bag. Ask your vet if you have any questions. Cats have a harder time losing weight if you free feed... ^_^