How to help deep open old wound to heal quicker?

May contracted a very bad wound.

The wound is already more than a month old.
It's a very deep open wound on a hind leg after a dog bite on 28th November 2011.
Was operated twice - first wound was stitched up and got infected, second time was to clean out the pus and scrape all dead tissue, and was left open with a drain in.

Now there is no pus, but wound is not healing as fast as should. And when she walks - she often shakes her leg.

Temperature is on and off and we are at vets every day to every second day. Finadyne was given three times already with intervals, and she is on different drugs (by now only injections - she will vomit anything given by mouth). Our vet now says that he is very worried.

There is no other option for another vet - ours are the best vets in the country.

May started eating better now, but what else can be done to help the wound to heal? The longer she is on drugs - the less chance for her kidneys and liver to stay healthy.

Please, help?

Asked by Member 877221 on Jan 1st 2012 in Alternative Treatments

Best Answer

Ully

I’m so sorry about you! It looks that you are trying everything related to the regular medicine. I suggest you to continue her regular treatment with your vet, but add and homeopathic treatment or acupuncture with a holistic vet (we have this kind of vets in Brazil, I’m sure that you have it also in your coutry). If you don’t find a holistic vet, a human homeopathic physician could help on homeopathic treatment.

I also would try to feed her with special foods like A/D, but I would ask your vet first about it. Ask your vet for blood test for anemia and, if as the case, a prescription for vitamins. You shouldn’t give your cat any medication without your vet recommendation because it could be bad for her.

If you could, put her in a special tiny room that she can rest a lot without playing or making exercises (like jumping, chasing toys or playing with her brofurs). It is broking heart to put one kitten apart of the family, but it looks she needs to rest!!!

Good luck!!!

Ully answered on Jan 2nd.

Answers

I'm so sorry for the trouble May is having. Animal bites can be nasty, and I'm sorry she's having such trouble healing.

At this point, I think it would be wise to contact another vet for a second opinion. Your vets may very well be the best in the country, as you say, but that does not mean they are infallible. Another vet may have certain experience with bite wounds that would be helpful in May's particular case. It wouldn't hurt to have her examined by a fresh set of eyes and possibly get some more ideas of how to help her. Discuss the idea with your current vet. No professional worth their degree would discourage you from asking for additional help, and he may have some suggestions for colleagues he respects.

I wish you and May well, and hope she starts healing better soon.