How to give medicine to a cat without making her scared of you?

Hi, we have just adopted a four and a half month old kitten from the shelter with a lovely personality. Unfortunately we have to give her ear and eye drops for 2 weeks, twice a day. In the beginning she was absolutely begging for attention all the time (She even liked us to rub her tummy). Now she seems scared of us and doesn't want to be picked up or cuddled. How can we give her her medicine without changing her personality? Thanks

Asked by Member 936901 on Jan 9th 2010 Tagged medicinefearscared in Fears & Phobias

Answers

I know how you feel. When I adopted my first cat, Shizzie, he was 10 yrs. old and was going into kidney failure. I had two liquid meds and one pill I had to give him. The first time went OK, but after that, as soon as Shizzie heard me coming he'd scoot under the bed. My husband thought his name was "Dammit" because all he heard me saying to Shizzie was "Get out here, Dammit!" ;-) Then I asked my vet how to do it. The last thing you want to do is get your cat in a death grip and force the drops in her eyes and ears. Play with her for a few minutes, love her up, cuddle her, give her treats, then gently wrap her in a towel or blanket. Have another person she knows approach her quietly, speaking softly to her about what a good kitty she is. Tip her head back slightly and put the drops in her eyes first, because if you put them in her ears, she'll start shaking her head and you'll never get the ones in her eyes. Gently rub her ears to make the medicine flow down into them.

I seem to have had one thing or another that required me to medicate my cats since day one with these guys. Sometimes contagious things that mean more than one at a time. Poor Blaze is so used to it that she sits at my feet waiting her turn even when it's not for her. The biggest thing that worked for me was rewards afterward. I get the canned food ready and prepare a spoonful on a plate that they can see (or a little pile of kitty treats) I pick them up and have a cuddle, squirt the medicine in their mouth and plop them down quickly to have the treat. Maggie runs like heck gagging and spitting out the medicine but she still comes back for the treat and loves to be held and cuddled as long as the medicine is nowhere in sight. And never call kitty to give them the medicine. That just makes them afraid to come when called. Hunt her down quietly and scoop her up and always give loving first and afterward.