How to get my cats to come out from under the bed and be more social?

In February, I adopted two rescue cats, a black domestic shorthair and a young Siamese mix. They had both been wild before and trapped by the rescue organization and thought to be adoptable. At the adoption fair, the black cat was very friendly and "rubby" and the Siamese was skittish.

When we got them home, it was an entirely different matter. I opened their crates and they ran right out and under my bed. And there they have stayed ever since, except to eat and use the litter box. Oh, and they come out to play, wrestle, and scratch on their toys when we are asleep.

We have tried every manner of toy, treat, food... Moving the litter box farther (they still ran back under the bed after they were done), moving the food (it's in the kitchen now but they run away whenever we come into that room). Is it time to give up or give in? How can we get them to like us and let us be their companions?

They love each other, groom each other, play with each other. Maybe they don't need us? :(

Asked by Member 906497 on Oct 30th 2009 in Socialization

Answers

Max

Most cats are nocturnal by nature. Some cats are shy by whatever made them that way. Try getting some wand type toys, some have feathers. Play with them in your bedroom, by the bed. You may be able to coax them out this way. When they start coming out to play with you, don't force yourself on them, let them get closer to you when they are ready. Max was real shy and I got him out from under the bed this way. He still is shy, but will let me pet him when I'm laying down. Some cats take longer than others, so keep trying and hopefully they will learn to trust you so you can enjoy their company.

Max answered on 10/30/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Al aka Alamo Schmo forever lov

Oh bless.. you are feeling left out! I was like this for a few weeks after my humans took me home. Cats are naturally timid and independent on the whole and you need to teach them they can trust you and that you mean cuddles and food and nice things. Things that a cat gets comfort from. But we feel a bit uncomfortable being approached and when things are being moved around. For the first week I just stayed in one room and had all my things in there. I would hide when people came in. Then I got used to my food and when I was tucking in mum came in very quietly after a day or two and just stood there, the next days she would stand gradually closer and act casual, the next step was her touching my shoulder very gently with her fingertip when I was eating. They used treats to tempt me out as well.. it was slow going, but she was very patient and kind and now I sleep with her and never leave her side! Just take it slow and use "baby steps".

Al aka Alamo Schmo forever lov answered on 11/11/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer