♥ Patchy ♥

How to get my cat to stop crying

I keep my cats in my room at night because my roomate tends to forget to close the back door and I dont want them outside and almost every night Patchy will start crying around 3 -4 am wanting to be let out of the room. If I ignore him he jumps right next to my face and crys or he will hop on me. Is there anything I can do to get him to stop. I do let them out when we go to work and they can roam in the house all day.

Asked by ♥ Patchy ♥ on Nov 3rd 2007 in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

Moxie

Cats are nocturnal so it is normal for them to be active at night. Also, every cat I've ever known goes extra nutso at some point in the middle of the night - we call it the "crazy kitty witching hour." If you have more than 1 cat, it's even worse because they seem to egg each other on (e.g. chase each other). I had the same problem when my kitty was young so I read some article/book that helped me (re-)train her to sleep at night. Basically I would try to keep her active as much as possible during the day so that she'd be tired at night. I would wake her up to play whenever she started to nap during the day. It didn't work right away but between my kitty getting older and mellowing out (she's 2-1/2 now) and keeping her active during the day, she pretty much follows my schedule and does not wake me up at nite. I don't know if this process will work with your adult cat but unfortunately for you her behavior is normal. Is there another room you can keep her in at night?

Moxie answered on 11/6/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Charlie

Actually, cats are crepuscular - not nocturnal - meaning they are awake and asleep constantly during 24 hours. A roomate of mine started using a squirt gun to stop the behavior, not my choice of behavior modifications, but it did work. She did this while I was on vacation. Do you have food, water and a litterbox in your room? If not, you may want to have them with you. Does your cat need a friend? We use a Snuggle Kittie for those times when crying and loneliness are apparent or when I travel. And, you might want to get one of those automatic feeding dishes with treats or something for that crazy cat hour...I also found with age, my cats slept more...lastly, I do notice if I sleep in and don't feed on time, Charlie does everything he can to get me out of bed, even though his dry food bowl is full of food.

Charlie answered on 11/16/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer